Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mom's got the bucket


 



Dad never let us draw chalk on the driveway. But I miss the days when he'd yell at us to stop. Knock it off. Grow up a little bit faster.

So I did.
When all that stuff happened..  When life happened, too young and too quickly, I grew, shooting up on a thriller ride and my body collapsed under the pressure.
I think my head and my heart must have collided on the way up cuz I haven't been able to get them separated since.

I dropped my crayons on my way up, but I never really had them from the start.
It always for me better to use the stick of charcoal. So I could get my hands dirty.

As I left my childhood I became a stick of charcoal, trying to draw on the pavement. But mom wouldn't stop pouring the bucket of water over all my pictures.

Any kid would've stopped trying to create things after they watched that black wash off the driveway and drip into the grass.

I love her still.
Even if she never bought me a Crayola set.
Even after I began to wonder if she let me hold the charcoal just so she could wash it away again.

But I was only ever trying to draw her a picture and I think that's what hurt the most.

2 comments:

  1. This may just be your most beautiful piece yet. Your closing line is what broke me. It broke me yet the pain felt so good.

    I wrote something a little while back and didn't post it because I didn't think anyone would bother to look at my senior citizen of a blog.

    But you did.

    I didn't dedicate the piece to you because you said I was "one of the greats". I dedicated it to you because you asked me for more.

    No one has ever asked me to give more of myself to them.

    This is for you Benji. http://charlesdarnell36.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-reaper-has-thing-for-greasers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may help me understand more about this than a lot of things would. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete